Entrance to the Old supplejack cemetary in Yoakum TX

Entrance to the Old supplejack cemetary in Yoakum TX
overgrown and forgotten

Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Irish immigrant roots lay buried under brush

I love being a Texan and all that goes with it.

Everything is bigger and better here, at least that is my humble opinion.
I have always had an interest in Texas history and the people who formed a dusty, hot land into cattle and farming towns.

The mesh of cultures and ideas gave the way to cities and towns we now know. With growth the freedoms and enjoyment that was the dream of each and every person who lived and died came to fruition.

My Irish ancestor John May is said to be buried in the supplejack cematary in Yoakum Texas and through the years there has been many changes and unfortunately John May's actual headstone is lost. I hope to uncover that Mystery and find out about his life.
Unfortunately many cemataries in our beautiful state are in terrible shape. Many tombstones are lost, broken or stolen by time or vandals. I hope to convey more than just a death date or a cematary of note in my state. I hope to tell a story of the lives that formed my fair State, my home, my heritage and history TEXAS

6 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    My name is Sheri Fenley. I have the "Meet A Rabbit" column over at the Graveyard Rabbit Association. I would like to feature your blog in the column. Please contact me at:

    sherifenley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with your ventuer. I love what you are doing. I have been doing the same with my blog of capturing and writing about the live of those buried in a long lost cemetery near me. It's maintanied by your local 4-H, but we only know where 4 of the 63 people at the Kootenai County Cemetery here in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of sad to see that gravestone standing there. Is it legal for someone to stand it up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Great to find your blog. I'm in Houston and look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog.
    I have a farming related blog. If you interested in farming and agriculture please have a look.
    Methods of Modern Farming

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw your blog listed at Geneabloggers and decided to check it out. I know the feeling, I too found an old cemetery in Starr county that was covered by brush and trees.

    Take care,

    Moises Garza
    We Are Cousins - My personal blog about Northeastern Mexico and South Texas Genealogy

    Mexican Genealogy - Blog where anyone with Mexican Ancestry can get started with their Family Genealogy and History.

    ReplyDelete